Disorderly Persons Offenses - Indictable Crimes

Attorney for Disorderly Persons & Indictable Crime Offenses

New Jersey law, unlike other States, breaks down criminal offenses into "Indictable Crimes" and "Disorderly Persons Offenses." Most other States refer to such criminal offenses as "Felonies" and "Misdemeanors". In New Jersey there are two types of Disorderly Persons Offenses. The first level of Disorderly Persons Offense is merely called a "Disorderly Persons Offense" or a "DP". The second level of Disorderly Persons Offense is Called a "Petty Disorderly Persons Offense" or a "Petty DP".

A Disorderly Persons Offense is punishable by up to 6 months imprisonment. A Petty Disorderly Persons Offense is punishable by up to 30 days imprisonment. Regardless of what you choose to call it, a disorderly person's offense is a serious matter.

Some of the criminal charges that are handled in municipal court include:

If you are facing criminal charges in municipal court and need to speak with an experienced criminal defense lawyer, contact Brickfield & Donahue. Our law office is located in River Edge, New Jersey. To contact our law office, call 201-488-7707.

While our law firm is based in Bergen County, we work with clients accused of criminal charges in Northern New Jersey, including the Federal courts in Newark, and the State and Municipal courts of Bergen County, Essex County, Passaic County, Hudson County, Union County, Morris County, Sussex County, Warren County, Hunterdon County, Middlesex County, Hackensack, Paterson, Passaic, Bergenfield, Carlstadt, Cliffside Park, East Rutherford, Edgewater, Elmwood Park, Englewood, Fort Lee, Glen Rock, Ho-Ho-Kus, Leonia, Lodi, Lyndhurst, Mahwah, Paramus, Ramsey, Ridgefield Park, Ridgewood, River Edge, Rochelle Park, Rutherford, Saddle Brook, Teaneck, Waldwick, Westwood, Wood-Ridge, Wyckoff, Newark, Jersey City, Union City, and Elizabeth

Protect Your Rights

Some people make the mistake of thinking that a misdemeanor conviction is not significant. Maybe your friends or family have told you that it is not worth the cost of hiring an attorney. Maybe you have been told to simply plead guilty and just get it over with.

Before making any final decisions that may adversely affect your rights and record, we strongly suggest that you contact an attorney. A DWI or serious traffic violation can result in increased insurance rates. A conviction for drug possession or theft may limit your future employment opportunities. A conviction implying an act of intimidation or violence may be used against you in a divorce or custody battle.

There are a tremendous number of unknown collateral consequences that may result from what seems like a very minor incident. Consulting with an attorney is the first step to making an informed decision in your case.

Schedule a Free Consultation

To schedule a free consultation with a criminal defense attorney at Brickfield & Donahue, call 201-488-7707 . If you have a question about a case in Municipal Court, feel free to contact us by e-mail as well.