The badges presented below are indicative of ratings presented through different sources who utilize different rating and selection processes. No aspect of these advertisements are approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. It’s also important to share the process by which these ratings are assigned/applied, and each are shared below.
Former Prosecutors Turned
Certified Criminal Trial Lawyers
Paul B. Brickfield
Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney Ready to Protect Your Future
Paul B. Brickfield is an experienced and energetic criminal defense attorney. He has successfully represented individuals facing serious charges in the federal courts in New Jersey and New York and in the state courts and municipal courts of New Jersey. He is a certified criminal trial attorney in New Jersey for the past 10 years. He has also been recognized as a Super Lawyer for the past 10 years.
Among Mr. Brickfield's accomplishments for his clients include:
- Complete acquittals in the federal, state, and municipal courts including:
- Complete exoneration of a doctor in a state court jury trial
- Complete dismissal of charges against a school superintendent in state court after a six-week trial and two successful appeals
- Acquittal in federal court at a jury trial for a client-facing a 10-year minimum sentence on a drug charge
- Acquittal in state court for a client at a jury trial facing first-degree drug charges involving the seizure by the New Jersey State Police of one of the largest cocaine stashes in New Jersey history
- Acquittals of DWI cases and other charges in New Jersey municipal courts
- Total dismissal of cases including a federal union embezzlement, indictment, a state court case of first-degree sexual assault, and numerous domestic violence restraining orders and contempt charges.
- Closing of federal and state investigations with no charges filed in cases including allegations of loan fraud, minority set-aside contracts, and date rape.
- Negotiations of favorable plea agreements, if required, greatly reducing potential range of punishments for clients.
Mr. Brickfield has over 25 years experience as a criminal defense lawyer. He was also a successful high-ranking federal and county prosecutor. He was an Assistant United States Attorney and was promoted to Deputy Chief of the Special Prosecutions Unit, in the United States Attorney's Office in New Jersey where he supervised other federal prosecutors and personally prosecuted cases involving political corruption. Mr. Brickfield also served as the First Assistant Prosecutor, the second highest ranking prosecutor, for the Bergen County Prosecutor's Office, supervising approximately 50 assistant prosecutors and numerous detectives, as well as personally handling significant prosecutions, jury trials, and appeals involving sexual assault cases, homicides, corrupt police officers and violent crimes.
Recognition and Awards
- Certified Criminal Trial Attorney, New Jersey - Past 10 years
- Super Lawyer - Past 10 years
- Recognized by Bergen Magazine as a 2020 Top Lawyer in the field of criminal defense
- Current Co-Chairman, Juvenile Law Committee, Bergen County Bar Association
- United States Department of Justice Special Achievement Award
- Former Trustee, Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey
- Former Co-Chairman, Criminal Law Committee, Bergen County Bar Association
- Appearances on Court TV and MSNBC
- Speaker at law schools and attorney seminars on federal and state criminal law and juvenile law
- Former Litigation Associate at the Wall Street firm of Shearman & Sterling, New York City
Mr. Brickfield is admitted to practice in the federal and state courts in New Jersey and New York.
- University of Virginia Law School
College of Holy Cross
- Graduated magna cum laude
- Member of Phi Beta Kappa
Mr. Brickfield has been active in the community and was previously a board member of the Alternatives to Domestic Violence agency in Bergen County and the Mid-Bergen Mental Health Services Association. He was honored by Shelter Our Sisters of Bergen County for his pro bono work for the agency.