Benefits of a Criminal Trial Specialist
Pursuing the Highest Standards of Excellence
Our criminal defense lawyers at Brickfield & Donahue are not your average attorneys: We are Criminal Trial Specialists Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. In December 2016, only 1,650 out of 75,000 active New Jersey lawyers earned this designation.
Anyone can call themselves a criminal lawyer, but not everyone can be a criminal law specialist.
Both of our attorneys hold this esteemed title, but many people don’t know the difference between a criminal lawyer and a certified criminal trial specialist. As a result, there are several incidents where potential clients fall victim to false advertising.
What Is a Certified Trial Specialist?
Certified criminal trial attorney is a designation granted by the New Jersey Supreme Court to attorneys who:
- demonstrate sufficient levels of experience, education, knowledge, and skill in criminal trial practice
- have passed a rigorous examination
- have been recognized by their peers as having sufficient skills and reputation in the designated specialty
Only lawyers who apply for certification and are able to meet the standards set by the board and approved by the court can earn this elite recognition.
Attorneys may be designated by the Supreme Court as "certified attorneys" if they are able to demonstrate sufficient levels of experience, education, knowledge and skill in a specific area of law or practice; have passed a rigorous examination; and have been recognized by their peers as having sufficient skills and reputation in the designated specialty.
In order to become a certified attorney in New Jersey, a person must meet the following requirements:
- has been a member in good standing of the New Jersey Bar for at least five years
- has taken a specific number of continuing legal education courses in the three years prior to filing an application
- demonstrates substantial involvement in preparation of litigated matters
- demonstrates an unblemished reputation by submitting a list of attorneys and judges who will attest to the applicant's character and ability
- passes a written examination covering various aspects of practice in the designated specialty
It’s not easy to meet all of the above requirements, but anyone that does is truly distinguishable. As such, our criminal law specialists work tirelessly to be the “best of the best” in order to help as many clients as possible put their accusations behind them.
Further, both of our attorneys are former prosecutors, meaning we have an in-depth understanding of how both sides of the law work. This invaluable knowledge paired with our esteemed recognition as criminal trial specialists makes us confident in our ability to handle each case and uphold the best interests of every client.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us at (201) 574-7919 to arrange a free consultation where we can discuss your case, legal options and how we can serve you.